The year 2021 began with our family at a mountain cabin in Hiawassee, Georgia where we celebrated the start of the New Year. And now as I begin to reflect on our travels and adventures this past year, I sit on the balcony of yet another mountain cabin overlooking beautiful Sky Valley, Georgia. We have come full-circle and the adventures in between were amazing.
We stayed in our camper trailer 157 nights and that doesn’t include the two weeks we camped in the backyard while our kids were quarantined with COVID earlier this year. With our trailer in-tow, we visited some wonderful places. We made some lasting memories and added to the increasing number of adventure stories we have to tell.
During the final week of February we took a camping trip with our daughter Jessica and her husband Bryan. We stayed at two Florida State Parks — O’Leno State Park and Torreya State Park. We had an enjoyable and interesting time in an area of our home state we seldom get to see.
In April we started our BIG adventure driving 15,908 miles while passing through nineteen states. We visited eleven National Parks and many state and local parks. It was one heck of an adventure. We stayed the night at 43 different locations. I have included a list detailing where we stayed.
- Tallahassee Auto Museum. Tallahassee, FL
- Amity Campground. West Point, GA
- Hidden Cove Rv Resort. Arlen, AL
- South Abutment Recreation Campground. Coldwater, Al
- Brandy Mountain Campground Royal, AK
- Horseshoe Bend Campground Rogers, AK
- Indian Point Campground. Branson, MO
- 370 Lakeside Park. St. Peter’s, MO
- Family Farm. Minonk, IL
- Moore Farm. Newton, IA
- Windcrest Winery. Raymond, NE
- Pals Brewing Company. Plate, NE
- Minute Man RV Park & Lodging. Philip, SD
- Wall Dispersed Area. Wall, SD
- Custer State Park – Stockade North. Custer, SD
- Reuter Campground. Sundance, WY
- Medora Campground. Medora, ND
- Huntley Project Museum. Huntley, MT
- Yellowstone Edge RV Park. Livingston, MT
- Red Rock RV and Camping Park. Island Park, ID
- Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park. Three Forks, MT
- River Point Lolo Campground. Seeley Lake, MT
- Fish Creek Campground. West Glacier, MT
- Rimrock Lodge and RV Park Thompson Falls, MT
- North Lake RV Park and Campground. Kettle Falls, WA
- Pine Near RV Park. Winthrop, WA
- Glacier Peak Resort. Rockport, WA
- Kayak Point Campground. Stanwood, WA
- Gus Backstrom City Park Campground. Morton, WA
- Forks 101 RV Park. Forks, WA
- Rain Shadow Lavender. Sequin, WA
- Elegant Dam RV Park. Port Angeles, WA
- Dow Creek Resort Hoodsport, WA
- Bruceport County Park Campground. South Bend, WA
- Montavon’s Berries. Parkdale, OR
- Lepage Park Campground. The Dalles, OR
- Copper Belt Wines BakerCity, OR
- Picabo Angler RV Park. Picabo, ID
- Fireside Resort Buffalo Valley Campground. Moran, WY
- Gros Vente Campground. Moose, WY
- Petro Travel Center. Laramie, WY
- Walmart. Oak Grove, MO
- Walmart. Forsyth, GA
The BIG adventure was cut short in August when we had to rush home for a medical emergency with our daughter. It was a scary experience — one I hope to never experience again. Our daughter is doing better now and is well on her way to a full recovery.
After coming home, we had the time to get the awning replaced on our camper. It blew away in a storm back in April while we were at Horseshoe Bend Campground. We also had the truck fixed from the damage caused when we hit a deer while in Idaho.
In October we went on a three day weekend camping trip with our family to Myakka River State Park and in November we went camping at Wekiwa Springs State Park with the entire family during Thanksgiving. In December the family gathered once again in our home for a joyful Christmas celebration.
Through all the highs and lows, this was a fantastic year. We had many adventures while exploring places we have never been before. We met many friendly people along the way. We have brought our family closer together and my faith in God has been strengthened .
If you are new to this blog, I invite you to scroll back and read the previous posts — you might learn the details of how we lost our awning or maybe how we hit that deer in Utah. You may find some useful information when going to one of the 32 National Parks we have visited.
Regardless if you are new or a long time reader of the blog, Grammi and I would like to wish you all a heartfelt Happy New Year. As we turn the page to a new year, our wish for you is to travel more, see more and do more in the coming year. Get out a go camping.
Until next time — Happy days, safe travels and God bless.